Tuesday 17 February 2009

What I think about when I'm running – The Blue Lake, Rotorua


8 in the morning. Theo still asleep, Jay and Fran reading comics. Head out of the campsite. The Lake is just across the road. Blue, beautiful, surrounded by bush. Down to the end of the beach and onto the track that goes all the way round the lake. The track is OK to run on, some stones and roots but not too bad, a few steps too. The lake is on my left, glittering through the trees and the track winds through the bush. There are loads of different kinds of trees and plants ranging from vibrant green to olive coloured leaves and black branches and it smells rich and earthy. The cicadas (not sure how to spell this – pronounced 'sick ada z') are deafening. These insects start making their buzzing, rasping noise at dawn and continue till dusk. One landed on the tent today. They look like large grasshoppers and are black with jewels of bright green. 20 minutes out. Am I halfway round? Maybe. The track opens onto a beach. A man is there playing with his granddaughter. The only people I've seen so far. I walk for a minute or two, it's hot and humid. The track is narrower now, twisting and turning through overhanging ferns. Fantails flutter in my path. Where is the end? It's an hour and a half to walk they said at the camp office. 40 minutes and ah, the road. I'd better go and give Fran a hand. Yesterday, Theo had his first go on a trampoline. He lay on it and Jay bounced around him. Gently at first and then not so - 'it's too boingy mum, I can't help it' – Theo's little body is thrown ever higher while he laughs with delight and hysteria. Jay is keen to relive the experience this morning – 'He needs practise mum'. It definitely needs supervision!

No comments:

Post a Comment